Thursday, June 29, 2006
The First Araneta Family Grand Reunion
"THE FIRST ARANETA FAMILY GRAND REUNION"
*November 19 & 20, 1993, Iloilo City-Philippines*
(By: Dinggol Araneta Divinagracia)
From as far as Ilocus up in the North, down to Davao in the South, they came from all parts of the country. Some came by land and by sea, others came via commercial airlines and still others came in their own private airplanes. The same destination Iloilo City. The same purpose, to attend and participate in the "First" Grand Reunion of the ARANETA CLAN last November 19 & 20, 1993.
The affair on the 20th started with a Thanksgiving Mass at the historic Santa Ana Church in Molo, Iloilo City officiated by Archbishop Alberto Jover Piamonte. It was followed by a sumptous lunch-buffet at the Sanson-Araneta/ Montinola-Jalandoni "Antillan House" at Jaro, Iloilo City. The venue courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Gregorio "Greg" Sanson y Montinola, grandson of Dona Isabel Soriano Araneta de Sanson.
Emcee during the morning program was Pablito V. Araneta, Board Member of the 4th District of Iloilo and grandson of Gen. Pablo Soriano Araneta.
Highlights of the program was the presentation of each family lineage and delegations coming from various parts of the country by Dinggol Araneta Divinagracia, which includes the Bago City Aranetas' who registered the biggest number of participants.
In the afternoon; kinship was either discovered or renewed during the fellowship, games and business meeting.
A formal dinner was held at the Residence Hotel along Gen. Luna Street with the evening program emceed by Jose Alfonso "Jojo" Hallares (great grandson of Gen. Marciano Soriano Araneta) and Marie Jo Fuentes Gallardo (great granddaughter of Gen. Juan Anacleto Torres Araneta).
During the evening program, delegates who belong to the "Araneta Circle of Senior Members" were recognized and properly honored by clan members.
Antonio "TonyPet" Araneta, grandson of Don Gregorio Soriano Araneta demonstrated an impressive "Slide Presentation" using rare Araneta photos of the yesteryears. Likewise, several members of the Clan also rendered messages and short talks.
Conspicously present were former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos' children: Congressman Bongbong Marcos with wife, lawyer Lisa Cacho Araneta of the Araneta Negros Branch; and his sister Irene Romualdez Marcos with husband, sportman -- businessman Greggy Araneta of the Araneta Iloilo Branch.
Likewise, the latest member of Congress and grandson of past Philippine President Manuel A. Roxas; the young and ever smiling scion of the Roxas-Araneta Clan of Capiz, Manuel "Mar" Araneta Roxas drew much attention. He has the very rare distinction of having descended from three branches of the family. With him, in that category are Lourdes "Lulu" Sitchon Araneta-Villarosa and Ma. Magdalena "Diting" Gonzaga del Castillo-Sia who were also present.
The Yulo-Araneta Clan of Canlubang Estate in Laguna were represented by Maritoni Yulo de Loyzaga, daughter of former Assemblyman Luis Araneta Yulo and by the teenage celebrity Margarita Yulo Gomez (Great Granddaughter of former Congress- Speaker Jose Y. Yulo and Cecilia Araneta de Yulo) who rendered a superb operatic singing performance.
The Araneta's of Cubao, Quezon City led by Ma. Lourdes "Baby" Araneta-Fores, the youngest daughter of business tycoon J.Amado Araneta & Ester Araneta de Araneta, founders of the Araneta business empire in Cubao, came with Gaita Araneta Fores and Mar Araneta Roxas, who also represented his mother, Judy Araneta-Roxas and the family of ther late Senator Gerry A. Roxas. Baby Araneta-Fores, offered generously the world renowned "Araneta Coliseum", the biggest dome coliseum in the world as venue for future Araneta Family Grand Reunions.
Descendants of Gen. Aniceto L. Lacson and Rosario Emilia Araneta de Lacson were represented, as follows:
1. Jesusa Araneta Lacson de Arroyo, by: Ignacio Lacson Arroyo, Jose Maria Arroyo, Jr. and Atty. Antonio Lacson Arroyo.
2. Carmen Araneta Lacson de Claparols, by: Alberto and Carmita Claparols-Balcells with son Carlos and their family; Antonio Medina Claparols, representing the Jaime Lacson Claparols family.
3. Ma. Enriquita Araneta Lacson de Lacson, by: Ma. Angela Silverio Lacson.
4. Mariano Araneta Lacson, by: Hector Montilla Lacson and Mary Alice Lacson with Skip, Eric and Clairli Lacson.
Antonio Montilla Esteban, son of Eduardo Araneta Esteban & Anatolia Montilla came with his wife, former Negros Occidental Governor Gloria Araneta-Esteban and their daughters: Amelia "Meling" Rodriguez, Glorieta "Baby" Javelosa & Ma. Merle "Nini" Villacorta.
The Tionko-Araneta Clan headed by the Tionko brothers: Romeo, Efraim and Mariano registered about 25 delegates; 9 who flew over from Davao City (descendants of Vicente Araneta Tionko and Vicenta Suazo Demonteverde) were: Jose Hizon Tionko with his sons; J.T. and Tommy; also Shella and Ana Vi, children of Ana Socorro Tionko Laxa. Other delegates of this clan came from Negros but mostly resides in Iloilo. Trinidad "Booday"Tirador Tionko, the Araneta Family Members Association's Treasurer is the daughter of Marianing Galan Tionko and Victoria Tirador-Tionko.
Attendance of the Araneta's of Anilao, Iloilo headed by Sangguniang Bayan Member Paterno Aponte Araneta includes Francisco, Ninfa, Mauricio and Warlito Araneta. Also, Asuncion Araneta Pedroso, Milagros Araneta Caro and Samuel Araneta Pedroso. They are descendants of Pantaleon Araneta who left Molo to settle in Sto. Rosario in Anilao, Iloilo during the early part of the 19th century. The descendants of Eusebio Araneta; Andrea Araneta-Zaldarriaga who came was Senene Araneta-Arano; also Raul A. Belita from Capiz with wife Lydia and members of their family.
Granddaughters of Simplicio Montinola and Cornelia Araneta-Montinola who attended were Emma Montinola-Ledesma with her children: Bobby and Joaquinito; Violeta Montinola-Ng with husband Pepito Ng, Ofelia Montinola-de Leon, Estela Montinola- Jaen with niece Marie Josephine "Joy" Gatuslao-Siscar and other members of their clan. Atty. Celerino "Junjun" Grecia III, son of Atty. "Hino" Grecia and Erlinda de la Torre-Grecia of La Carlota, Negros Occidental was the lone delegate of the Raymundo Escarilla and Natividad Araneta-Escarilla clan.
Mr. and Mrs. Paqui Caram, son of Iloilo(City's)2nd District Congressman, the late Fermin "Nene" Caram came to represent their Paternal Great Grandfather Geronimo Araneta Palacios.
The Agaton Araneta and Josefa Locsin-Araneta clan who participated includes Emma Esteban-Campos, Grace Ma. Espinosa-Obligacion, Ramon "Monet" Esteban Kilayko, Antonio "Nonoy" Esteban Campos, Jane Campos-Jarantilla and Ma. Cecilia Campos- Jarantilla with daughters Nicole and Bea. Cecile and Jane did a very laudable job as In-Charge of the Registration Committee.
Rene Montelibano and nephew Raymund Montelibano(AFMA-P.C.O), son of Hector & Kalang Macalalag -Montelibano of Mandurriao, Iloilo City came to represent the descendants of Vicenta Suansing Araneta de Escobar and Fausto Escobar. Rene's wife, the late Inday Yulo-Montelibano was also a member of the Matti-Araneta-Yulo Clan.
Bago City Mayor Manuel "Tutay" Yulo Torres and wife Janet Araneta Espinosa-Torres came to represent descendants of Irene Limsiaco Araneta-Torres & Dionisio Torres.Also came were Francisco "Kikoy" Yulo Torres and Milagring Yulo-Layson together with her daughter Concepcion "Pinky" Layson-Rojo(AFMA-Auditor) and granddaughter Kristine.
The delegates of the Atanacio Araneta y Dionson clan were Laura Araneta-Lizares, Lourdes and Montserrat Araneta as well as Amparo Araneta-Cusi and Milagros Araneta-Cusi.
Bago City Vice Mayor Trinidad V. Javellana and sister Bernardina V. Javellana de Intengan represented the Bernardina Araneta Palacios-Villanueva clan together with the daughter of the late Humberto V. Javellana; Gregoria Y. Javellana and also Bert Jaleco Javellana.
The Aranetas' of Bago who registered the biggest number of delegates was headed by Dona Sylvia Araneta-Torres, one of the two surviving daughters of Gen. Juan "Tan Juan" Araneta who came together with Dr. Samson "Saming" Araneta Gonzaga and family, Estanislao "Noning" Araneta Padilla; out-going and in-coming President of the Gen. Juan Araneta Family Association of Bago City respectively. Dona Sylvia came personally with daughter Nena T. Javellana and granddaughters Jing Javelona and Suzette J. de Sello.
Dona Maria Rica Araneta-Matti, the other surviving daughter of "Tan Juan" was represented by Fedick and Berting Matti, and Ma. Fe Matti-Dilag.
The other offsprings of "Tan Juan" were represented by their children, their grandchildren and great grandchildren, namely: Guillermo "Baby" Araneta with wife Dorothy "Jhong" Araneta de Araneta and children Carmela, Gie and Lucille; Natalia A. Gonzaga de Locsin, also Abraham Araneta Gonzaga and family; Patria Araneta- Fuentes & sister Rebecca Araneta-de Leon with daughter Dra. Nani Araneta de Leon; Donna Padilla-Guanzon, Allyn Gonzaga-Guevarra, Grena Padilla-Delicana, Victor Araneta, Philip Araneta, Mary Ann infante, Ernie Araneta Hilado, Cary Araneta, Erly Gonzaga, Baby Ditching and twin sisters Lilia and Lydia Araneta Aurelio, Bago City SP Member Samson "Jingjong" Gonzaga, Jr., Dandoy Matti de Venecia, Wynn Araneta, Tina Gotera Araneta, Nanette and Cathy Diaz Milabo and others. Rebecca Araneta-de Leon was Vice-Chairperson of Araneta Reunion '93 Committee.
The Federico Matti and Consolacion Araneta de Matti clan was led by Negros Occ. 4th District Congressman Edward Miller Matti with wife Gigi Araneta-Matti and son Leonard. The brothers Maximo and Eduardo Matti were also around together with Jose "JP" Yulo, grandson of Carmen Araneta-Matti and Arsenio Yulo, Sr. & others.
The Remegio Salas and Maria Rosario Araneta-Salas clan were represented by Pilar Concepcion-Yulo, wife of Alberto Salas Yulo and two grand daughters; Peachy Yulo- Deles(AFMA-Business Manager) and Sandra Yulo-Francisco with their children.
The descendants of Don Marciano Yulo Araneta, erstwhile "Presidente Municipal" of Bago, Negros Occidental were well represented which includes the Aranetas' of Cubao, Quezon City and the Canlubang Estate in Laguna. Led by the matriarch of the family; Dona Eva Araneta-Serra (wife of an illustrious ilonggo; the late Dr. Tomas Serra). She was the most sought-after person during the reunion as she knows the Araneta Family Tree like the palm of her hands. She came came with her son, the "Muy mucho macho" Enriquito Araneta Serra. Also available to give Manang Eva a helping hand was her younger sister Lucy Locsin Araneta-Solinap and her children.
Incidentally, Eva Araneta-Serra was elected Chairperson of the Board of Trustees of the Araneta Family Members Association which shall be processed for registration as the "Araneta Family Foundation, Inc.", a non-stock, non-profit family corporation.
Still from this side of the family, those who came were Manolet Araneta and wife Mila Cacho-Araneta together with their children who were among the first to respond to the call of a Family Grand Reunion, namely: Suzanne Araneta-Ledesma, Cecile Araneta-Cacho and Liza Araneta-Marcos. They came with several members of their familias. Suzanne and Cecile are actively involved in up-dating the Araneta Family Genealogy.
Angel "AA" Aldeguer Araneta came with wife Binky Montinola-Araneta and son Jose Luis. "AA" Araneta's role was very important during the organizational stage as liaison between the Negros and Iloilo Aranetas.
The Felix Militante Araneta and Paz Ditching Soriano-Araneta clan of Molo, Iloilo City had quite a big delegation represented, as follows:
1. Isabel Soriano Araneta de Sanson: By: Greg and Marilou Tirol-Sanson and their children Albert and Ma. Rita. Greg's brothers George, Federico and Francisco and family. Jose "Pepe" Sanson (Over-all Chairman Reunion '93) and Teresita G. Sanson with children Joebert, Celine and others. Felicito "Ito" Sanson and wife Nanette Lizares-Sanson with their son. Cely Sanson-Saquin, Mildred Gustilo Sanson and Nilda Oquendo-Sanson with her children. Also present were Marilyn Yusay-Rivera and husband Dr. Alejandro Rivera and family. And also the Yusay sisters of the Assumption Religious Order: Sister Agnes Therese,R.A. & Sister Marie Leonie,R.A.
2. Pablo Soriano Araneta: By the children of former Barotac Nuevo (Iloilo) Mayor Mariano Cartagena Araneta and Dra. Estrella Valera-Araneta; Pablito V. Araneta (AFMA-VP External Affairs), Antonio "Biboy" Araneta and Rebecca Araneta-Gaborne together with their families.
3. Marciano Soriano Araneta: By his only surviving daughter; Adela Locsin Araneta de Divinagracia with her children Carmeling Divinagracia-Hallares and Rodolfo "Dinggol" Araneta Divinagracia. And grandchildren; Jose Alfonso "Jojo" Hallares (AFMA-P.R.O.)and Lania Hallares; Marie Adele, Stella Marie, Maria Carla and J. Rudyard all surnamed Divinagracia y Tenebro were present.
Children of Consuelo Divinagracia de Araneta (wife of the late Arturo Locsin Araneta) who came were Marcia Araneta-Regala, Erwin and Consuelo Araneta-Corteza (AFMA-Secretary), Consolacion Esteva-Araneta together with the younger Araneta generation; Nolan and Mariza Araneta-Saclauso, Julian and sister Samantha Araneta Corteza, Denden Araneta Masilongan; Rubio and sister Ma.Grace"Ilyich"Araneta Bocala.
4. Gregorio Soriano Araneta: Headed by his only surviving daughter Margarita "Tina" Araneta-Singh and Antonio "Tony" Albert registered 18 delegates coming from Metro Manila. Seven of Don Gregorio's children had delegates during the reunion, represented as follows:
1) Dr. Salvador Z. Araneta: By: his daughter Ana Marie Araneta-Santos Ocampo.2) J. Antonio Z. Araneta: By: his sons; TonyPet and Eking Araneta and by his daughter Maity Araneta-Holigores.3) Rosa Araneta-Alcuaz: By his sons; Francisco "Paco" Alcuaz and wife Glory Locsin-Alcuaz; Jose Luis "Linggoy" Alcuaz with wife Ma. Fe Ahorro-Alcuaz.4) Ramon Z. Araneta: By: his son Benito "Bomboy" Araneta and daughters, Marilou Araneta-Senn and Angela Araneta-del Rosario.5) Teresa Araneta-Albert: By husband Tony Albert and son Ramon"Monchit"Araneta Albert with wife Marilou Puno-Albert.6) Margarita"Tina" Araneta-Singh: By herself and her son Robert Araneta Singh.7) Luis Ma. Z. Araneta: By: Greggy Benitez Araneta and wife Irene Marcos-Araneta.
5. Maria Soriano Araneta de Segovia: By: her great grandchildren; the children of Rodolfo and Celia Araneta Singson-Balmaceda: Rodolfo Singson Balmaceda, Jr and Raffy & Marissa S. Balmaceda-Sison with their children Chipper and Aimee.
6. Jose Soriano Araneta: By his grandchildren Marilyn Araneta Vasquez-Salazar with her "apo" Mayet (daughter of Camille Vasquez Salazar and Martin de la Cruz Dabao) and Joe Marie Araneta Imutan with wife Mylene Sanico-Imutan and their children: Marie May, Marie Tess and Jojo Sanico Imutan.
The First Araneta Family Grand Reunion in Iloilo City last November 19 and 20, 1993 was indeed a success. It was most memorable as cousins of various degrees got to know each other for the first time; some who are friends for many years only then learned that they have similar bloodline; and some who had only seen each other when they were still kids met again after several years---all thanks to the Grand Reunion.
Everyone is looking forward to the next Grand Reunion scheduled in Bacolod and in Bago City, Negros Occidental three years from now.
With the enthusiasm, eagerness and cooperation as shown by all the members of the Araneta Clan who attended the affair, there is no doubt that the brotherhood of the Araneta ancestors will surely continue to future generations.
Dinggol Araneta Divinagracia
(November 29, 1993)
Nota bene:(With apologies to delegates not mentioned due to lack of material informations)
I would like to know and verify if there's a name "Don Gaudencio Araneta (origin from Silay) and eventually moved in to Quiapo,Manila (near Calle Castillejos) in the early 1900s. My grandmother who is now 93,comes from the Araneta clan. Her family was one of the old family residents of Quiapo. If there are infos, pls do let me know. Gracias!
2LT RUPERTO ARANETA JALECO, please e-mail me @
email@example.com ... thank you for your time in reading this ...